ENDO SCRUB TECH-NORTHSTAR/LHSH-PRN
Company: Surgery Partners
Posted on: November 25, 2022
Under the direction of a GI/Endoscopy RN, contributes to the
company's mission and vision by assisting with the care of patients
undergoing GI/Endoscopy procedures, assisting in the maintenance of
a safe environment, and maintaining a sterile field to provide
support for physicians and nurses during endoscopy procedures.
- Demonstrates necessary practical, technical or specialized
knowledge and skills required for the role of the GI/Endoscopy
technician in accordance with facility policy and procedures.
* Demonstrates knowledge related to maintenance, cleanliness, and
sterilization/disinfection of instruments and equipment. Maintains
a sanitary environment for the provision of patient care.
* Demonstrates knowledge of high disinfection and sterilization of
endoscopy equipment. (Maintains daily log, testing for efficacy of
disinfecting solution with each cycle, performs biological tests,
test strips quality controls, and completes log, as per facility
* Proficient in the care, handling, and disinfection of all
endoscopes and accessories.
* Prepares the endoscopy unit adequately and ensures availability
of necessary GI equipment and supplies.
* Verifies proper functioning of equipment prior to procedure.
Report malfunctioning equipment immediately to nurse manager.
* Utilizes good customer service while interacting with patient,
family and physicians. Keeps patient and family informed on a
* Utilizes appropriate patient identifiers prior to all
* Assists the physician with interventions as indicated
(positioning, preparing specimens, GI tract tattooing, etc.)
* Proficient in the care, handling and disinfection of all
endoscopes and accessories.
* Practices Standard Precautions.
* Cleans GI treatment rooms between procedures and prepares rooms
for next case.
* Demonstrates appropriate aseptic techniques as indicated by
interventions (hand hygiene, and equipment preparation).
* Maintains patient privacy, comfort, and safety throughout the
stay i.e. bed rails up, brakes on stretchers, positioning, etc.
* Utilizes appropriate body mechanics in moving patients and
stretchers to prevent injury to patient and self.
* Assists in the maintenance, care and labeling of specimens.
Identifies specimen with surgeon and passes specimen to the
* Assists the R.N. and/or physician as needed.
* Recognizes emergency situations and responds effectively in a
calm and controlled manner.
* Appropriately handles the disposal of biohazardous
* Restocks area daily, using appropriate par levels and daily stock
sheets while utilizing facility resources appropriately and avoids
* Checks for outdated sterile supplies and instruments and assists
with reprocessing as needed.
* Prepares procedure room for use the following day by bringing in
equipment, setting up, "pulling cases" accurately, and reporting to
supervisor items that are needed and not available.
* Spends appropriate time and energy on tasks and assignments based
on the policies that are supportive of the Center's goals and
* Functions independently according to job responsibilities and
within scope of practice utilizing current standards of care.
* Takes personal initiative to maintain current BCLS, and other
required certification (if indicated) current as defined by job
* Uses facility resources appropriately and avoids wasteful
* Attends all mandatory in-services, staff meetings, and
participates in emergency drills.
* Participates in the orientation of new employees.
* Completes annual competency and other required education as
* Maintains confidentiality of records and patient information at
* Practices and adheres to the "Code of Conduct" philosophy and
"Mission and Value Statement".
* While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the
current Position, it is not necessarily an exhaustive list of all
responsibilities, skills, duties, requirements, or working
conditions associated with the job. Management reserves the right
to revise the Position or require that other or different tasks be
performed when circumstances warrant (i.e. emergencies, changes in
personnel or staffing, workload, rush jobs, or technical
MINIMUM KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Know the definitions of fundamental computer terms related to
applications software and desktop PC's
* Know how to open, read, and respond to email
* Know how to manage electronic files
* Know how to print electronic documents and reports
* Maintains current knowledge of advances and current trends in
GI/Endo procedures and techniques.
* Knowledge of endoscopes use and maintenance.
* Knowledge and ability to identify and select GI instruments and
equipment necessary for patient procedures i.e. endoscopic set up,
scopes, video equipment, and safe use of electro-surgical unit.
* Demonstrates knowledge of principles of safe electro cautery.
* Knowledge of current practice related to hand hygiene, aseptic
and sterile technique.
* Knowledge of current practice of decontamination, high level
disinfectant and sterilization procedures.
* Demonstrates attention to detail by ensuring that all
documentation is legible, complete, accurate, and factual.
* Knowledge of organizational policies, procedures, systems and
* Has knowledge of patient rights and strives to improve patient
outcomes by respecting each patient's cultural, psychosocial, and
* Knowledge of applicable regulatory, compliance, and accreditation
standards and requirements.
* Possesses critical thinking skills.
* Demonstrates a willingness to listen to others and openly
expresses respect for differing opinions.
* Demonstrates leadership, effective organizing, and planning
* Effective problem solving skills to include data analysis and
judgment to make effective decisions.
* Ability to work with minimal supervision.
* High Impact Communication - Effective oral and written
* Computer Skills - Knowledge and basic use of computer skills.
* Maintains high level of confidentiality at all times.
* Ability to build trust and gain respect through effective team
leadership and participation skills.
MINIMUM EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
- Graduation of an accredited Surgical Technology program
* One-year acute care experience.
LICENSURE AND CERTIFICATION
- Valid BCLS Certification (online certification not
ENVIRONMENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Works in temperature controlled environment;
* Must to able to read, write and speak English fluently, have
cognitive skills for math, reading, filing and sterile technique
skills. Vision for near, mid-range, far and accommodation. Hearing
for low, medium, and high pitch;
* Communication skills to deal well with employees, patients,
families and physicians.
* Requires physical ability for standing, sitting, crouching,
kneeling, frequent walking, reaching above head and below
* Risks include exposure to blood and body fluids, contact with
laser and chemicals, and exposure to infectious disease;
* Requires hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to
operate a keyboard, photocopier, telephone, and occasional use of
other office equipment;
* Requires normal range of hearing/eyesight/voice projection to
record, prepare, and communicate appropriately;
* Physical strength for equipment needs and patient care
activities; may require frequent lifting/moving up to 50 pounds and
occasional lifting/moving in excess of 50 pounds;
* Ability to move quickly in response to patient needs;
* Ability to make constant/frequent judgment/response to
* Exposure to noisy equipment;
* Subject to varying and unpredictable situations, high
stress/pressure, handles emergency or crisis situations, regular
interaction with emotional patients and/or family members.
Keywords: Surgery Partners, Lubbock , ENDO SCRUB TECH-NORTHSTAR/LHSH-PRN, Other , Lubbock, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!