Company: NRG Energy, Inc.
Location: Denver City
Posted on: June 12, 2021
At NRG, we're bringing the power of energy to people and
organizations by putting customers at the center of everything we
do. We generate electricity and provide energy solutions and
natural gas to millions of customers through our diverse portfolio
of retail brands. A Fortune 500 company, operating in the United
States and Canada, NRG delivers innovative solutions while
advocating for competitive energy markets and customer choice,
working towards a sustainable energy future. More information is
available at www.nrg.com. Connect with NRG on Facebook, LinkedIn
and follow us on Twitter @nrgenergy.
Provide operations support for the plant to ensure operations of
equipment is supported with accurate and current data sets. Take
readings and perform calculations in operation of power plant
equipment. Operates and monitors plant equipment outside of the
control room under the direction of the Lead Operator or Control
- Operate, inspect, and monitor in a safe, efficient, reliable,
and environmentally sound manner power plant equipment).
- Recognize safety hazards and follow safety guidelines for
personal protection, protection of fellow workers and the
protection of the public.
- Learn proper operating procedures.
- Observe variations in operating conditions and interpret meter
and gauge readings to troubleshoot plant equipment to resolve
- Monitor and record data available through the use of various
instruments, recording charts, annunciator systems and other
monitoring devices onto shift logs as directed by plant operational
- Perform routine cleaning of work area.
- Employee must arrange own transportation to work location and
may be reassigned to another location at the Company's
- Power Plant Environment.
- Work both inside and outside in all temperatures and climate
conditions in accordance with Heat Stress procedures.
- Work around large rotating equipment, energized electrical
equipment in high noise areas, and/or in confined places, on
elevations in excess of 250 feet, or from platforms at heights of 5
feet or greater.
- Must be prepared to work 12 hour Rotating Shifts and be
available to respond to emergency callout 7 days a week, 24 hours a
- Ability to work in mentally stressful environments: must be
able to react to crises where immediate action is required to
correct or curtail potentially damaging or hazardous
- Must receive a rating of recommended on the NRG pre-employment
- High school diploma, vocational school diploma, GED.
- Three years experience in a power plant environment, oilfield,
or industrial environment.
- A 2 year Associates degree in a related field and 1 year of
power plant, oilfield or industrial experience.
- Knowledge of power plant equipment such as motors, pumps,
boilers, turbines, generators, fluid systems, chemical handling,
water treatment systems, cooling towers, pollution control
equipment, AC and DC electrical distribution and control systems,
- Knowledge/ability to master and apply the fundamentals of
personal computer operation, e.g., basic word processing, basic
spreadsheets, and electronic mail.
- Must have a valid state driver's license.
Additional Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Basic knowledge/ability to understand fundamental principles
related to Physics, Mathematics, AC and DC electrical theory, heat
transfer and fluid flow, thermodynamics, chemistry, and
- Knowledge of power plant safety, especially in areas such as
chemical handling, high energy systems, confined spaces, incipient
fire suppression, first aid, rotating machinery, heavy equipment
- Demonstrate the above by completing an initial qualification
program (Basic Duties and Phase I), through periodic initial and
refresher training programs, and by successful performance on
periodic oral and written examinations.
- Knowledge of power plant system operations and basic power
plant principles used daily in decision making and work tasks.
- Desire to continue through the training program including Water
Plant and CRO qualifications.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate various switches and valves
and the effect each has on the total operation of the generating
- Ability to handle multiple task or assignments at the same
- Ability to Tag Out/Lock Out equipment per NRG Texas Tag
Out/Lock Out procedure.
- Ability to use addition, subtraction, multiplication and
division to perform flow, pressure and meter calculation.
- Ability to read and interpret blueprints, schematic diagrams,
procedures and technical manuals.
- Ability to communicate plant system and equipment conditions on
- Ability to perform checks (e.g., PM's) on running and idle
- Ability to discern and respond to verbal and auditory signals
from control panel.
- Ability to discern assorted colors.
- Ability to record and analyze readings of various electrical
and mechanical meters.
- Ability to work without supervision inspection while carrying
out duties. Ability to operate Company vehicles and equipment (e.g.
forklift, plant vehicle, etc.) and maintain operating licenses and
certifications. TDL is required.
- Ability to use a personal computer and associated
- Ability to perform routine laboratory tests and analysis on
samples from power generation processes, (i.e. boiler water,
make-up demineralizer, etc.).
- Ability to operate various computer systems to receive,
analyze, comprehend and input data.
- Ability to generate work notifications for execution of
- Ability to communicate information clearly, both orally and in
- Ability to work successfully in a team environment
- Climb stairways, ladders, and work from aerial devices.
- Daily work expectation requires ability to perform tasks by
walking, standing, sitting, kneeling, crouching, squatting,
twisting, pushing, pulling, shoveling, climbing, and working with
hand tools (up to 25 pounds) in position above and below head, and
extended from body to complete repairs.
NRG Energy is committed to a drug and alcohol free workplace. To
the extent permitted by law and any applicable collective
bargaining agreement, employees are subject to periodic random drug
testing, and post-accident and reasonable suspicion drug and
alcohol testing. EOE AA M/F/Protected Veteran Status/Disability
EEO is the Law Poster (The poster can be found at
Level, Title and/or Salary may be adjusted based on the
applicant's experience or skills.
Official description on file with Human Resources
Keywords: NRG Energy, Inc., Lubbock , Station Tech, Other , Denver City, Texas
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!